Friday, June 15, 2012

Safety Culture


Working at a site that has a lot of ongoing construction and maintenance and a lot of contractors coming through has made me extremely aware of safety culture, so I notice a lot of unsafe practices happening around me when I'm at home that I wouldn't have necessarily thought of before.

Yesterday I was walking down the street and I noticed a guy shingling a roof (or like, nailing something to a roof with a nail gun, I'm assuming he was shingling).  It was a very steep roof and he was wearing skate shoes, no protective gloves, no protective eyewear, and no fall protection!  It was a myriad of unsafe practices, and I kept glancing over at him to discover more and more safety violations that would have got him fired in 3 seconds from my workplace.

He noticed me looking at him, and kept glancing over as well every time I tried to sneak a peek at what he was doing.  He probably thought I was checking him out because he was so manly, but really I was thinking "That guy is going to shoot himself in the eye with a nail and then fall off the roof, what an idiot."

No comments:

Post a Comment