Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Doppelgangers


One thing that just seems to make life in general more fun is the existence of doppelgangers.  After graduating high school, a couple of my friends who moved out to Edmonton both informed me that my doppelganger had been spotted in Edmonton.  I don't know if it was the same girl, because one friend was taking classes with her at U of A and one friend saw her dancing on a speaker in a bar (a good indication that it wasn't actually me), but the only time I've ever heard of anyone spotting someone who looks a lot like me (other than my sisters, who look a fair amount like me), it's been in Edmonton.  I always ask these people why they didn't take a picture, because I want to see what this girl actually looks like and if we are actually very twinnish.

And don't you think it would be sort of cool to meet your doppelganger?  Not that if I ever finally tracked down this Edmonton lookalike that I would ever travel out there to meet her, but how surreal would it be if I ran into her someday?

My sister has a friend named Mitchell.  One day I was driving home and I saw a guy who I was pretty sure was Mitchell crossing the street.  I looked at him a few times to make sure it actually was Mitchell.  When I got home I was doing a bit of work in the yard and felt someone looking at me.  I looked up, and it was Mitchell, walking by the house.  "Oh!" I said, about to say "I didn't recognize you Mitchell!"  But then I realized it was NOT Mitchell after all.  He didn't respond to my "Oh!" so he probably assumed he'd startled me and kept on walking.

I later mentioned this incident to my sisters, who both have either seen or heard of the Mitchell Twin.

I wonder how people who have met their doppelgangers feel.  Is it weird and bizarre to know someone who looks eerily similar, but isn't related to you?  Take for example Helen Hunt and Leelee Sobieski - while Helen is a couple decades older than Leelee, they look like mother and daughter.  Would it just feel like not a big deal because you do know someone who looks a lot like you (your mom or sister or something), or would it feel a bit creepy?

No comments:

Post a Comment