Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Apple-Cheese Cookies!


I don't have too many "go-to" baking recipes because there are so many different types of cookies and cakes and brownies out there, it seems like such a shame to make the same thing over and over when there are all those other recipes waiting to be tried.  BUT I definitely make an exception for what I call apple-cheese cookies.


I got the recipe from my favourite food blog, The Kitchn, about a year and a half ago.  Sadly I have only made these three times because I always forget about them, but when I remember to make them I'm all "why am I not making these every week???"  They are so good, and quite healthy as well.  More like a granola bar than a cookie actually.

I usually deviate a bit from the recipe, subbing cheaper cheddar for gouda and dried cherries for raisins.  This time I also added some chopped walnuts which were a great addition.  I grate the cheese instead of chopping.  I use whole-wheat flour and I am pretty sure the first two times I made this I only used 1/3 cup of olive oil and added one of those single-serve applesauces, which added some sweetness and intensified the apple flavour.  This last time I forgot to do that but they were still outstanding, and I might even like them better more savoury.


So what I'm saying is, you should make these.  They're super easy to make and easy to modify to "healthify" as well (flax would probably work well in these).  AND what a perfect snack to take to work or school.

You probably have all of the ingredients in your cupboard/fridge, so what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment