Monday, June 20, 2011

Lessons in Dehydration - Again

You'd think I would have learned my lesson about hydrating myself properly last summer.  (For any new readers, last summer I went to Prague on a university trip and walked around all day without drinking anything and then when I did drink something my face expanded because I was dehydrated and my face retained water.)  However, today I did something really stupid again.  Here's hoping I have ACTUALLY learned my lesson this time, because the consequences today were felt a lot more than having an expanding face.

I got up at 4:45 to drive Brahm to the airport.  He was home for the weekend and went back to Montreal on the 6 am flight.  After the airport I went home and just sort of sat around watching TV, reading books, etc. all morning.  At about 10, after eating my second breakfast (I had some fruit when I got home around 6) my sister Allyson asked if I wanted to go for a bike ride.  She said it wasn't a long or difficult ride - just from our house near the university to the Circle Drive Bridge, across the river and back across the University Bridge.  (Google Maps tells me this is approximately 8 km now that I check.) 

It was all fine until we got near the end of the journey and had to bike uphill across the university bridge.  By the time I got across, I was starting to see black and had to get off my bike and sit in the grass.  I didn't necessarily feel ridiculously winded or anything but I was going to pass out.  I realized that I had not put any fluids into my body since supper the night before.  After resting for a bit I tried to walk my bike the rest of the way home, but it wasn't happening.  Allyson had to come pick me up in her car.

Scary and really dumb.  Always remember to drink some water in the morning, especially before you go out and exercise, even if the exercise isn't that strenuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment