Monday, November 8, 2010

The Giant M&M

When I was 5 and my sister was 3 (give or take a year) my dad took us to this special children's concert at the Ex or possibly the Children's Festival on a Saturday morning.  I believe you had to pre-buy tickets so they knew exactly how many kids there were going to be, as throughout the concert the performers would take breaks and draw names for a bunch of different prizes.  Every kid there won a prize, and most kids got goody bags with colouring books, those little Crayola crayon packages, some stickers, that kind of stuff.

I think Allyson won one of the goody bags, which is what I really wanted.  I loved getting to open goody bags and discover all of the new stuff I got.  As the concert wore on, my name still wasn't called.  They were running out of goody bags!  There were only 5 left on the stage!  There were no more goody bags left!  Was I going to be the only kid at the show who didn't win a prize?  This was not shaping up to be a good day.  All I wanted were my freaking red/yellow/green/blue/black Crayolas and some stickers.

Then suddenly they announced The Big Prize was about to be drawn for.  It was the last prize and apparently it was the one all the kids wanted.  Not me.  I didn't care.  I just wanted the goody bag.  One of the event volunteers walked onto the stage carrying...


He is now missing an eyebrow.  We tried to sell him multiple times at garage sales but alas, he still lives in my parents' basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment