Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Heidi Montag Contest Prize

So listen, I never expected for this to happen. I never watched Laguna Beach or The Hills when it was in its "prime" (I'm not sure such a horrible show warrants the word prime without quotation marks), but maybe because I don't have any drama at work or school because I'm not involved in either I have been watching this season. In my defense though I mostly watch it to see the characters (that's what they are, they're not real, it's so scripted) get lambasted on The After Show by Jessi and Dan.

Last night I watched the latest Hills episode, which honestly was actually so lame. I maybe watch because I am just so incredulous that these stupid, stupid girls actually welcome their reputations being tarnished like this, by behaving so horribly on a reality show for the world to see. I know it's not "real" but still, to me I question anyone's character who would act like that on TV and allow their name to be associated with people of such low morals and no substance. But anyway that's beside the point.

The point is actually really hilarious, not just my cliche rant about reality TV stars. If you follow pop culture at all you may remember this absolutely terrible "music video" featuring Hills star Heidi Montag:



(Unrelated but sort of related note - apparently Heidi Montag's debut album sold LESS THAN A THOUSAND copies in its first week. Ouuuuch.)

So anyway for whatever reason, maybe to get people to listen to her music or something I don't know, Heidi Montag held a music video contest promising the prize of an iPod engraved with a personal message from Heidi. Jessi of The After Show entered as a joke and of course, won.

Last night was the big prize reveal, as Jessi had brought the package she received from Pratt Productions to open for the first time on the show. The suspense grew as Jessi and Dan struggled to open the cardboard FedEx box. What would the message be from Heidi herself? What kind of iPod? Eventually, all was revealed when the box was opened and a tiny iPod Shuffle bearing the engraving "Heidi Montag Contest Prize" was displayed to the excited crowd.

I think I laughed for about five minutes straight. The reason why I've never been into reality shows, besides the fact that they basically want to make me gouge my eyes out, is that I don't like that these shows are blurring the line between the reality and fantasy lives of the people on them. Is Paris Hilton actually as dumb as she appeared on The Simple Life? Could Lauren Conrad actually get a real job based on her own merit and qualifications? Are Heidi and Spencer actually as tacky as they appear on The Hills?

Last night though, at least one of those questions finally got an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment