Friday, October 21, 2011

Wedding Crafts

Before we got engaged, I was really excited to plan a wedding.  All the little fun details, crafts, the whole works.  I remember saying to people "I've planned a two-day conference for 100 13-year-old girls and have overseen the planning of 8 different science camps for kids of all ages which included keeping track of 90+ different projects, surely a simple wedding will be a piece of cake."  But then when we actually got engaged, I realized that there is a lot more that goes into planning a wedding than just making a schedule and booking stuff.  There's a whole emotional side to things too which is ultimately more important than the crafts, so suddenly all that stuff seemed superficial and I didn't care about it anymore.  Like instead I might need the next 10 months to come to terms with having to say my vows in front of 100+ people - does anyone actually realize what a big deal that is?  To be that vulnerable and honest in front of everyone?  I feel like I need to focus my energy on figuring out how to cope with that, rather than crafts.  I digress.

However I still kind of want some sort of crafty homemade things, and I also think my sister was very disappointed the day I told her I didn't feel like doing any details, so when I came across this post on my favourite wedding blog, I thought, wax paper lanterns for tea lights?  That looks too easy.  Easy enough to not take over my life and kind of fun too.  And CHEAP, this is what I like to see.

I decided to make a few changes, as the comments on that post suggested incorporating the kindergarten "stained glass" craft where you iron crayon shavings between two pieces of wax paper, and decided to put stickers on the outside instead of pressed flowers on the inside (sorry but that sounds like wayyyy too much work).  I set to work for about 2 hours this morning, creating about 5 sheets of crayon shaving wax paper and some cardboard tracers that were the size of the sides of the lanterns I want.  I made one "test" lantern.  At the end of it all I was wondering whether I should bother making 40 or so of them anymore.  Easy, yes, but still time consuming.  Maybe I can have a few girls' nights and round up friends and sisters to assemble them.  Otherwise I might go crazy.

But they are kind of pretty so I probably should do them, for my one token craft.  Who wants to help? :D




Taken on the bathroom floor in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment